Saturday, 5 January 2013

Croissants


My first ever post about a recipe and I was wondering which one! And I finally decided upon Croissants! As this was one thing I made and felt immensely happy. Whenever I used to see people bake and create art forms (thats the word that comes to my mind when I see beautifully baked stuff) I used wonder whether anytime in my life I can make anything that would remotely look like them. So one day when my baby slept and I had absolutely nothing to do I set myself on a journey into the mysterious world of baking!


I would say a different world because till then baking for me was just cakes. I didnt even think of anything like puff pastries or cookies or croissants. So I searched for the recipe of Croissants and found this one on allrecipes.com. I followed the measurements and instructions of rolling to the T and baked them and waited and waited for the end result. And the result was flaky,soft and aromatic Croissants! I had made them in two ways. One, small without any filling and two, medium with a little bit of chicken filling . My husband and I had a super snack along with our evening tea. Do try it as its simple,easy and yummy!!!




CROISSANTS

Recipe source - allrecipes.com

Original recipe make 1 dozen

Ingredients:

1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 tablespoon warm water
1 teaspoon white sugar
13/4 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoon white sugar
11/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup warm milk
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
2/3 cup unsalted butter
1 egg
1 tablespoon water

Method:

Combine yeast, warm water, and 1 teaspoon sugar. Allow to stand until creamy and frothy.


Measure flour into a mixing bowl. Dissolve 2 teaspoons sugar and salt in warm milk. Blend into flour along with yeast and oil.


Mix well; knead until smooth. 


Cover, and let rise until over triple in volume.


Deflate gently, and let rise again until doubled. Deflate and chill 20 minutes.


Massage butter until pliable, but not soft and oily. 


Pat dough into a 14 x 8 inch rectangle. 


Smear butter over top two thirds.


Leaving 1/4 inch margin all around. 


Fold unbuttered third over middle third, and buttered top third down over that. 



Turn 90 degrees, so that folds are to left and right. 


Roll out to a 14 x 6 inch rectangle. Fold in three again. 


Sprinkle lightly with flour, and put dough in a plastic bag. Refrigerate 2 hours.


Unwrap, sprinkle with flour, and deflate gently. Roll to a 14 x 6 inch rectangle, and fold again. Turn 90 degrees, and repeat. Wrap, and chill 2 hours. To shape the croissants cut the dough in half,chill half while shaping the other half. 


You can see the butter incorporated into the layers.


Roll out to a  rectangle. Cut into two squares. Cut each square in half diagonally. 



This is how I had rolled out the croissants previously to make smaller croissants.


Roll each triangle lightly to elongate the point, and make it 7 inches long. Grab the other 2 points, and stretch them out slightly as you roll it up. Place on a baking sheet, curving slightly. Let shaped croissants rise until puffy and light. In a small bowl, beat together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Glaze croissants with egg wash.


Bake in a preheated 475 degrees F (245 degrees C) oven for 12 to 15 minutes.



And you get your yummy Croissants,totally home made!

2 comments:

  1. will definitely try these out and let you know how it turned out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Aliena!! Do try them out :-)

    ReplyDelete